20040929

Untitled//808 State

If you've been reading this blog a lot, it's probably no surprise that I'm not a fan of George Bush. Actually, to be fair, I don't like everything about John Kerry either, although I may vote for him anyway. I'm undecided between him and one of the third parties at the moment. But regardless of your political position, I think it's important to know what's going on if you want to participate in the system of our democratic republic. So tomorrow (thursday) night at 9 PM EST, when the first of the three debates is on, I think people should really watch them. Three debates really isn't a lot when you consider how much there is a debate. But, whether you think the media is too liberal or too conservative, you don't need commentary from CNN, Fox News or any of the others tell you what you should think. If anything, watch the debates on C-SPAN, which is probably the closest thing we do have to a "fair and balanced" media source. Also, it's kind of sad to say, but "freedom" has become something of a buzz word in this campaign on both sides. Of course everyone loves freedom, but remember that people have different ideas about what freedom is. So at the risk of sounding like a bad assignment in the a grade school history class, when a candidate uses this word (and they will) think about what you think it really means, and what it means to the rest of the world. Ok, that's my input into it. So now I'll stop with the politics and get onto the music...

More tracks from 808 State. I posted a handful of them back in the early days of Radio Babylon. The more I listen to them, the more I think that they are actually a pretty important band in the history of electronica. They never had huge hits, they're not written about as much as someone like Derrick May or Juan Atkins really. But they've always pushed the envelope further into what electronic music is supposed to sound like, sort of removing the borders and creating something that picks from other genres and brings it all together into a the beginnings of a potentially universal sound. Maybe it's just me, but they were a big influence of Björk and Aphex Twin too. Either way, I think they're fairly underrated in their genre.

808 State - Saxasalt

808 State - Sticky Hop

(source)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home