20040518

Yesterday was the first day of my internship. I'm working in the post production department of a video production company. They do mostly documentary work, which is good because I can't see myself working for a sitcom or reality tv show. But I had a realization while I was there. I don't think that as long I am in this industry, I will be able to take it seriously. Even something as well meaning as documentary and nonfiction television is hard to take seriously all the time. This isn't to say that I won't put in the time and effort and do the best job that I can do, but it's come to my attention that the television industry, and in fact most of the media industry, has no sense of humor. I don't mean to say that they can't come up with humorous sitcoms. I don't watch much TV any more, but there are a few good shows still on. What amazes me are the people who make these shows and how seriously they can take themselves. It's as if something going wrong during the taping of American Idol puts the lives of thousands of people at risk. Maybe that just says something about the way our society does see the media now, like it really is something much more important than we realize. And I even saw this as a broadcasting major in college, among some of the professors and some of the students. But honestly, it all seems pretty ridiculous to me when I think about it. Sometime, turn on a random channel in the middle of the day, watch whatever the show is for a little while, and try to imagine yourself working on that show, getting really stressed out, and losing sleep over it. Changes are, the show you're watching isn't a work of art by any stretch of the imagination and is probably pretty ridiculous when you think about it. But maybe it's just me and this is another one of those things that only bothers me. Still, I respect the people I work with, but I don't think I can take this work as seriously as some of the other people in the industry do. At least I don't have to wear a suit.

I had today off so I started a new show on WMSC, my college radio station. I only have a few months left and I felt like a challenge so I agreed to co-host a show with my friend Abby. The summer schedule is pretty open so we got a good time slot, 4-7pm on tuesdays. What makes it a challenge is that her musical taste is very different than mine. She mostly plays music from broadway musicals so it's my job to mix in a healthy sampling of dance-punk, idm, glitch hop, etc and still maintain a nice continuity. We're still searching for a name for this show, so if you have any ideas, let me know. The first show actually went pretty well for the most part. My plan is that the more Disney-esque she tries to make the show, the noisier my music had to be. So far I haven't had to play anything by Merzbow, but we still have a few months of this show to go. What do you think about the song below playing after the Lion King soundtrack? I'm not really complaining though. If nothing else, it's given WMSC something a little different.

Merzbow - Aqua Necromancer

::source::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home