20040727

Untitled/Nobukazu Takemura

The newest link on my blog roll goes to An Idiot's Guide to Dreaming. I was reading it the other day, and I saw the Kate Bush is Björk post. Anything Björk related immediately gets my interest but I was skeptical. People get compared to Björk a lot, but I tend to think she's in a class all her own. But still, I figured I'd give her a fair change, considering I don't know very much about Kate Bush. But I'm very impressed by the very idea of someone covering the theme to Brazil, one of my favorite movies of all time. Kate Bush isn't quite Björk, but An Idiot's Guide to Dreaming has convinced me that she at least deserves my respect.

And if Kate Bush, Björk and Brazil seem too familar and you happen to be looking for something a bit more out there, let me direct your attention to the very unique Nobukazu Takemura. This music makes me think of a small Japanese child trapped inside a synthesizer and coming to terms with it.

Nobukazu Takemura - turutiksbinbon (Fr ver)

Nobukazu Takemura - uuru

::source::

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Bush predates Bjork by a great many years (I remember her from 1977 - showing my age) and is certainly the inspiration for Tori Amos' style of music/singing; I wouldn't say she inspired Bjork though. They're both mad-as-hatters in their own ways.

As far as the "cover" of Brazil goes: a quick check of the soundtrack shows that Kate is listed on a couple of songs including that track but they decided to use the instrumental version of the title song only in the film.

6:22 AM, July 27, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Bush and Bjork have nothing to do with one another, and though Kate has dropped out of sight in recent years, she was a major presence for us "alternative" music fans in the 80s whose work holds up and continues to provide great pleasure. She's sometimes hard to take (it took me many listens to finally get her, but then I fell hook line and sinker). I recommend "Hounds of Love" and "The Dreaming" as good introductory albums.

Herself
http://herself_nyc.livejournal.com

11:01 AM, July 28, 2004  
Blogger bluecalx2 said...

thanks for the recommendations. i'd heard her name a lot before, but sadly i never really got to experience much of the music, but my curiousity is definitely peaked now.

12:10 AM, July 30, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home