20040715

Radio Babylon has a sponsor, sort of

A little while ago someone from Better Propaganda had asked if I would put a link up here for them and then started talking about the idea of an occasional Better Propaganda sponsored track on here. I kind of like the idea, mostly because it saves me from having to get more web space for a while (I've been considering it on and off). So no money is exchanging hands or anything, they're just making my life a bit easier, and they have a lot of good music up. So my plan is to post some of their tracks on Thursdays. And there are a few other little details that I might have to work out, but that's the basic idea.

After seeing The Corporation last week, I've been thinking more about the state of the world, US foreign and economic policy, etc. So instead of getting music this week, I'm posting some excerpts from a question and answer forum with Noam Chomsky. This is from a CD on Alternative Tentacles that was recorded in 2002. He's been called the most important living intellectual in America today and I don't think that's undeserved. So today it's about learning that's going on in the world, and next week we'll have more music.

Noam Chomsky - Big Business And The General Population - A Nation Divided

Noam Chomsky - Latin America, The U.S. And Globalization

Noam Chomsky - The Problems With Iraq

Noam Chomsky - U.S. Doctrinal Constraints On Middle East Peace

Noam Chomsky - Why Do They Hate Us?

::source::

4 Comments:

Blogger mr gilbert said...

i love the unconventional Chomsky post...

1:54 PM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger bluecalx2 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:56 PM, July 21, 2004  
Blogger bluecalx2 said...

thanks. i've been reading a lot of Chomsky lately, so there might be more of them coming as we get closer to election day. :D

(btw, sorry this was posted twice, in case you were wondering...)

9:57 PM, July 21, 2004  
Blogger bluecalx2 said...

From what I've seen of reactions to Chomsky worldwide, most anti-Chomsky sediment has come from the US itself. While I am by no means an expert on foreign policy, in my readings of Chomsky, I have never once thought of him as a bigot. But I wish you had expanded on this comment. If I did get that impression, I would probably stop reading his work. What I do get is the impression that he supports the rights of the populace against oppressive or manipulative governments and corporations. I am particularly interested in his writing about propaganda.

Unfortunately, as I seem to have offended you (which I apologize for), I doubt that you'll be reading this and these words may fall upon deaf ears. Regardless, what offends me about how comment is not your idealogy, but how you choose to express it, by accusing me of being a bigot and an idiot, without providing any reasons. As I see it, this does little to convince anyone of your point, and only fans the flames of hatred between opposing idealogies.

While you haven't identified yourself in anyway, I do not even know if you are a liberal, conservative, or a member of a group which you feel that Noam Chomsky is discriminating against. So I'm forced to assume that you're view of him is either anti-American or anti-Semetic, to relate to his discussions on the present state of Israel. I'm guessing this because they are the most common arguments I've heard against Chomsky, although I disagree with them. Beyond the obvious facts that he is a Jewish American and that true anti-Semetism also includes discrimination against Arabs, who are also Semetic people, I still feel that his writings are in the defense of the oppressed (generally the populace) against the oppressors (generally governments structures which prevent the populace from gaining any significant power). What I don't see is him proposing anything like a race war or a war against cultures. On the contrary, I see attempts to neutralize just disputes that exist in the world today, along with class struggles.

The real shame of your comment is that you've provided no alternatives. I read Chomsky because I believe he is far more informative than the Ann Coulters and Michael Moores of the world. I've yet to find another author who addresses the inner workings of US foreign policy and its general lack of acceptance for the principle of universality better than Chomsky has. However, I am not so presumptious as to suggest that his words are the final words, or even that I agree with absolutely everything he says. So if you would like to suggest something supporting your beliefs, I would be happy to have my sensibilities challenged and I would be more than willing to read it respectfully and with an open mind. If, as you say, Chomsky is a bigot and I have overlooked it in my readings, which is of course possible, I would certainly like to know about it before I read any more. If however, you prefer to simply call me a bigot and an idiot, then I think it is a shame that you give me no oppurtunity to debate these issues with someone from a different perspective who came teach me a lot that I haven't thought of, even if I don't agree with it. If you ever do read this, I look forward to a civil discussion on the matter, but please do not call me a bigot.

11:59 PM, February 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home