20040719

I've been thinking about the Republican National Convention in New York and how much it's going to suck. I'm trying to find out what the exact plans are for the convention, but I know that it's taking place at Madison Square Garden, which makes it seem like Penn station may be shut down (or if they do have a plan to keep it open, I'm sure it will be a mess), which is going to cause problems for me and a hell of a lot of other commuters. Then I hear that they're planning on blocking the streets within a mile radius of the convention, an area which my job falls into. Then of course around that will the protesters. I was in the protest against the Iraq war in February 2003, and if that's any indication, this will be a very, very big protest. People I know who don't seem to even be that interesting in politics are planning on being there. So I like the fact that people are going to exercising their democracy at such a crucial time, but I'm starting to wonder what that's going to mean for other ways of getting into the city. Port Authority isn't too far away from MSG, so taking a bus might be difficult too. The PATH will probably be packed. Ok, so all of this has a while before I really have to worry about it, but it does look like the Republicans are doing a very nice job of shutting down a nice chunk of Midtown Manhattan. Really I'm just hoping that I can get that week off, in which case I'll probably go anyway to see the protesters (I'll try to post some pictures if I go), but at least I wouldn't have to worry about being somewhere. Well, there's still time to worry about it, but I really do find myself wishing they'd gone somewhere other than Manhattan.

Today's mp3 is for fans of Aphex Twin styled acid/drum n bass/ambient. If you don't know µ-ziq, be sure to give this a listen.

µ-ziq - Meinheld

::source::

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All but 2 entrances to Penn St will be shut, and some NJ transit trains that normally come into Manhattan will instead go to Hoboken for transfer to the PATH.

It's probably a good idea not to try to commute to work around there that week.

10:23 AM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger bluecalx2 said...

i was thinking of taking the PATH in. it's still kind of a pain, but i'll play it by ear i guess. thanks for the information.

11:53 AM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger El said...

Hah. I feel bad for the new NYU freshmen.. they get to move in right when the convention's in town :D :D :D

7:30 PM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger bluecalx2 said...

No problem. Hope you like it!

11:18 PM, July 20, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this guy sounds a very much like a less experienced and talented copycat of acid jazz/drum'n'bass musical genious, Tom "Squarepusher" Jenkins

8:03 PM, August 03, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home